Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chicago


There are so many unique things about Chicago. Some of them really make me laugh, others are inconvenient and others are just plain rude. Here's what I'm talking about:

They say washroom instead of restroom or bathroom. I actaully have picked this up and will probably continue to use it for the rest of my life. I like the way it sounds but I'll admit when I first heard it I was so confused. I was at work and a coworker was showing me around the office. He took me to a tiny door behind the patient charts and explained that through that door is the washroom. I was thinking maybe we had some sort of laundry room at work for our lab coats and stuff.

I've mentioned this before but I think it is so weird when you get pulled over they take your license and you have to use your ticket as a license until you go to court.

The mob is called The Outfit. 

Taxes are higher on everything including tires and car leases.

Freeways have names like The Dan Ryan and The Kennedy as well as numbers. They do this only to confuse those of us who aren't from Chicago.  People from Chicago don't even know the numbers of the freeways, just the names. 

When you're driving down a narrow one way street you should feel totally validated stopping wherever you want and run an errand or two.  Oh, as long as you put on your hazard lights.  

You honk for everything.  If you see someone you know, if you want to let someone into your lane, if you are upset at something and even if you are coming out of an alley.  If you're in Chicago and aren't sure what you should be doing... Honk. 

9 comments:

Odell Family said...

Seriously...they took your license away when you were pulled over??? That's crazy. Okay, now I want to know what you were pulled over for!? It sounds like it was pretty serious if they took your license away.

Lorraine said...

AMEN. Love this place.

acandiedapple said...

Okay, so I have been pulled over but didn't get a ticket. I only know they take your license from coworkers who have been pulled over. They do it for everything including speeding. I was lucky enough when I got pulled over for talking on my cell phone to talk my way out of it. No pun intended.

Wendy said...

Oh...you're making me miss Chicago even more!!!

Melanie said...

great post, it's all so true!! I'd add one thing though: when you're next in line at a store, it's not "I can help who's next" or "next please," it's simply "STEP UP."

acandiedapple said...

Heh, I totally forgot about 'Step Up'. That is definitely true. Aaah, Chicago. It's a place like no other. Mel, since you're in Arizona I thought I'd share a temperature tidbit with you.. Today it is 17 degrees with a wind chill of -1. Enjoy your vacation!

Danielle said...

They also use "washroom" in Canada.

Here's another one - the kids around here say "I gotta use it" to mean they have to go to the bathroom. That's a favorite of ours. We say it all the time now.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that ticket thing! I got a ticket once for doing a u-turn. Yes, u-turns are against the law in Chicago unless it is marked as a u-turn. When I got the ticket ($150 plus traffic school) I had an out-of-state licence, so I had to follow the police officer to the nearest police station and sit there for a LOOOONNG time while they scrutinized my police record then let me go (with a ticket and huge fine). Oh, and my licence- they didn't keep it.

Melanie said...

Ah yes Danielle, we also love the "gotta use it." I also hear "gotta boo boo" a lot. Babby Daddy is Josh's favorite phrase now. Cami, we were so happy to be in warmer weather. Just wait til I post pictures of us BBQ'ing in the backyard. So nice.