Sunday, December 19, 2010

Festival of Lights

 Last weekend we went to the Washington DC temple to experience the Festival of Lights. It was truly beautiful. I was surprised to see so many multi-colored lights. For some reason I was expecting to see all white lights. It was very beautiful. I think they use over 400,000 lights.

 In the visitor center they had a creche collection with creches from all over the world. I took some pictures of my favorites. I have to admit that I don't have a creche in our home yet. I've wanted one for a long time but I don't know what kind I want. I guess I should just get one and then keep an eye out for the perfect one. I do want Calder to have the tangible reminder of the birth of Jesus.
I love this one from Japan for is simplicity.

 I can't remember where this creche is from but that woolly mammoth sure made me laugh.
 This one is from Germany. And below is the sign with tidbits about it.

 This one is from Africa. I think it has a very humble feel and I like that.
This felted one is from Finland. It made me want to create my own but now that I'm home I'm having second thoughts.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

First, I just love you. Second, your goals are incredible! I won't be joining you, but I will be cheering you on!! My goals are going to be about food storage and building an emergency fund in 2011.

Melanie said...

how fun! The Mesa temple also has lots of lights and a similar display of nativities from around the world. I always enjoy seeing it.

Spencer and Anna said...

Beautiful! I love all the nativities. We've also been wanting to get one.

Casey and Karen said...

Our nativity was given to us as a wedding gift (we were married in Dec) by Casey's parents. We really like it. Unfortunately, so does Kinsley. Baby Jesus is now missing. I really like the simplicity of the ones you shared. Beautiful!